It’s been a while, too long to be honest. Life getting in the way of gaming but thats the way it goes.

To get back in the swing of things I’ve decided to try something a bit different. I bought some Team Yankee U.S. Mech. infantry to see how they would fit in with the other 15mm modern ranges out there. Thankfully they do.

But that leaves me with a pack of Cold War miniatures when I don’t have any plans to get into that period. I knew that when I bought them but thought I’d go for it anyway and figure out what to do later.

A little bit of digging about on who in the Middle East/Asia uses American kit came up with the newly equipped Afghan National Army.

I managed to find enough images on a Google image search to get some idea of what kit they use and for a bit more detail on the camo. scheme I found this on camopedia

Looking at the above image I came up with this paint scheme

  • Undercoat – 995 German Grey
  • Base coat – 819 Iraqi Sand, washed with Army Painter strong tone then base colour reapplied to raised areas
  • Skin – Panzer Series 874 Tan Earth washed with Army Painter strong tone then base colour reapplied to raised areas
  • Helmet base colour – Panzer Series 894  Cam. Olive Green
  • Helmet main colour – Mig 004 Reseda Green B
  • Camo. brown – 872 Chocolate Brown
  • Camo. green – Army Painter Army Green
  • Webbing – 880 Khaki Grey washed with Army Painter strong tone then base colour reapplied to raised areas

After that I applied a thin dry brushing of Iraqi Sand to make them look a bit more like they had actually seen some action and weren’t just off the parade ground.

Looking at them I think it went fairly well, up close you can see that they are not quite kitted out the same way as the ANA but they look the part at a normal gaming distance.

Once thing I did found out is that digital camo. is HARD to do in 15mm! I tried to give an impression of it (at tabletop gaming distance) rather than be 100% accurate.  On top of that when I had another look at photos of the real thing green looked the more dominant colour. I think I’ll try another test figure but use green as the base colour.

All in all I’m more than happy with this wee experiment and I’ll be building a few units out of the Team Yankee U.S. range.